Saturday, August 25, 2007

About Me

My name is Chris Harper. I have worked retail jobs most of my working life or jobs concerning customer service. This fall I started my first teaching job in Picayune, MS. I work at the Center for Alternative Education, an alternate school. I am the high school math teacher there. I primarly teach pre algebra, algebra 1, and geometry, but as more students are being sent into the alternative school, I could teach other math classes. This is my first fully online course, but I have taken other courses that have online supplements both at USM and at the University of Minnesota, where I received my bachelor's degree. I am familiar with most of the programs that we will be using in this class, but if in doubt, I can always ask my wife, who is a tech savvy person. I have used most of these programs before, mostly for school purposes. I am familiar with the communication tools that we will be using for this class, though I have not used them personally. Like most people at school, I know how to use email, and that is my preferred way of contact. For new technology used in the classroom, I have heard of blogs, podcasts, and video clips. I have used video clips in the classrooms, and I have listened to podcasts on the internet as a leisure activity before for personal entertainment. I have also read other people's blogs online for personal enjoyment. For this class, I hope to gain experience for technology in the classroom, and better ways to integrate them into my classroom.

1 comment:

Dr. wang said...

Chris,

It is great that you are familiar with all software and communication tools. In addition, you have an excellent resource at home. This class will be very easy for you.

The technology skills is the foundation of this class. With this solid foudation, you can focus more on how to integrate these technology into classroom.

I hope that you can provide tips and help to your classmates once needed.

Dr. Wang